Thursday, June 5, 2008

ONLY ME CAN MAKE ME BETTER

Too often we rely on others to come to our rescue when we are feeling sad or depressed. But I’ve found ONLY ME CAN MAKE ME BETTER. I PRAY FOR GUIDANCE AND THE INSPIRATION ALWAYS COMES AS TO WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP MYSELF. After all next to the Lord, noone knows me better than me. I’ve lived with myself long enough to know how to get myself out of a slump or unhappy time. And prayer comes as a reminder as what is best for me but as well how I can help myself by helping others.

I’ve found so many times that whenever I need help, I am drawn to others who are struggling with a problem similar to mine. By helping others, I help myself. I feel that is the whole reason we are on this earth, to learn and to help each other. But first, I had to get to really know myself. Sometimes we are afraid to become OUR OWN BEST FRIEND. We only seem to see the worst in us. We are much, much too critical of ourselves, looking at others attributes not our own. We need to observe others and learn from them their strengths but not use it as a gauge to make us feel inferior and down grade ourselves.

The best way to get to know yourself is to spend some time alone meditating, evaluating. Long walks are good for this. I not only learn about myself but I feel a closeness to nature and the beauties of which I am surrounded, and I am in a position to receive personal revelation concerning my problems from the Lord.

Next, make a list of your attributes or good traits; either written down on a piece of paper and put in a secret place where only you can see it often or take mental notes. Realize those traits that you need to improve but don’t dwell on them—just work on improving them. The talents that you possess will help you toward accomplishing your goal of self-improvement.

Often one of the biggest causes of depression comes when we feel we are failing or when we let feelings of guilt weigh us down, or changes have come into our life that threaten our sense of security. We feel threatened or lose our confidence in ourselves to solve our own problems. This is a good time to bring out the written or memory list of our attributes, THEN GO TO WORK, ASK YOUSELF “WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP ME?” We must remember though that sometimes we need to struggle and overcome to build our own self esteem and to be an example to others who have not learned the secret of using prayer, then listening to the inspiration that will come to help us to help ourselves.

As I mentioned before, I believe we are placed on this earth to learn and to help others. But part of learning comes when we let others help us—after all, that is part of THEIR learning process as well.

This was written in 1988.
Carol P. Warnick

1 comment:

Bean said...

I'm so glad that you have a blog! Now I can check in on you:) I love you!
Kathlene