Thursday, June 5, 2008

Jasper the Cat


The mother cat at Bob’s folk’s farm had a batch of kitchens soon after Bob and I was married. Bob and I looked at them all and chose the cutest of the bunch, a little fuzzy orange kitten. We named him Jasper.

Jasper was a fun kitten and would entertain us with his antics. We loved him.

After Robert was born and Bob went to ROTC summer camp two days after I got out of the hospital, I went to stay with my folks who only lived a couple of houses away from our house.

Jasper would come to visit us and I would go home to check on him as well.

One day I had my baby in arms and heard a hissing noise outside the front door of Dad and Mom’s house. I opened the door and saw a terrible sight. There was a huge snake coiled and its head was up like a Cobra snake attacking my cat, Jasper.

I let out a scream and mother came running. She thought something had happened to my baby. I told her to look outside. She saw the snake too and ran for the shovel. She then killed it. It was a frightening experience for me and I still see it in my mind to this day.

Jasper turned up missing and I looked for him and found him a few feet from our house where Bob and I were renting. He was dead. Someone had shot him.

I will never forget Jasper.


No comments: