
As I was not part of La Dawn’s life for the first ten years of her life, I can only recall what people told me about her and of pictures I have seen. But they have become so vivid to me that I felt I had been a part of those years.
La Dawn was born August 13, 1925, the first child of Fay and Elizabeth Carried Gleave Porter, in Escalante, Utah. Sixteen months later our sister, Beth, was born in the same town. At this time there were no doctors in this small town, only a midwife called Aunt Susan who was a niece to our Grandma Porter.
Mother captured the memory of her two little girls walking hand in hand and would talk about it often to me. She talked of La Dawn holding her little sisters hand and tugging gently saying, “Come on Bethi,” and Beth would follow obediently.
La Dawn was the adventurous one. She sometimes got into trouble because of it; like the time she crawled into the center of a roll of chicken wire and then couldn’t get out. Mother and Dad had to come to her rescue.
She liked challenges and this also sometimes got her into trouble. She wanted to jump across the ditch that ran behind our house when she was just a small girl. Dad didn’t stop her but told her that if she missed, she would get a spanking. She took on the challenge and missed by a few inches, falling into the running water. Dad retrieved her and she got the spanking. But I have a feeling that it wasn’t a very hard spanking because Dad must have been suppressing a laugh at her misfortune.
The last time I spoke to Mother a few days before she died in July of this year (1997), she told me of two little girls walking in their nightgowns from our house in Escalante to the dance hall in town where our parents were, holding hands. No doubt La Dawn was saying, “Come on Bethi.”
A man at the dance informed my parents who thought their two little girls were sound asleep at home that two little girls in white, flour sack nightgowns were standing outside the door of the dance hall. What a surprise that must have been.
For nine years my two sisters were inseparable. They did everything together and were the best of friends. Then in 1935, I was born when the family was living in Cedar City. I was their pride and joy until I got old enough to get into their paper dolls and doll furniture.
Three years later Dale was born. By this time La Dawn and Beth were teenagers. I have fond memories of these years. I was an observer as my sisters made homemade candy, had honey taffy pulls, danced and sang and occasionally fought. La Dawn liked to tease Beth and it would sometimes end up in “a cat fight” but they still remained the best of friends through it all.
In 1942, we moved as a family to Logan while Dad attended classes at the Agricultural College, which is now Utah State University. It was while we were here that my parents received their endowments and were sealed as an eternal family in the Logan Temple. I can still see in my memory the scene of us all kneeling around the altar and looking up and seeing my father crying.
There were happy times for all the neighborhood kids and us as we played night games on our block. Again I was more of an observer than participant because I was just a little kid. I guess I didn’t mind much because I only remember it being a wonderful happy time.
La Dawn was avid writer. Even as a teen she was writing poetry and attempted to write a book entitled, “Terry.” She continued writing all her life and later wrote newspaper articles for local newspapers where she lived.
I have many special memories of our life in Escalante even though I was only seven years old when we moved to Provo. Our country was at war but I can still remember the dancing and singing of my sisters through these years of turmoil. I admired them both with their pretty clothes and many boy friends.
I was only eight years old when La Dawn married Reed Ercanbrack in the Manti Temple at the age of seventeen. The difference in La Dawn and my ages should have separated us but it didn’t. La Dawn was always fun when she came to visit. She loved to laugh and enjoyed life so much.
When her first child, Larry, was born I was more like an older sister than an aunt to him.
When I was about twelve years old La Dawn came to visit us in Provo. They were living in Idaho them. I will never forget the fun she and I had as we walked to a movie down town together one night. On the way home we took off our shoes and walked barefoot on the sidewalk for almost six blocks. We giggled as we carried our shoes in our hands. I think we even sang some songs. People must of thought we were crazy but we didn’t care, we loved being together.
I could tell you many wonderful stories about her sense of humor. When I was twelve years old I stayed with her, Reed, Larry and Sidney in New Plymouth, Idaho on their farm. I was invited to a party and asked to bring a cake while there. La Dawn is a wonderful cook and always makes such good treats. She made a cake for me to take but something happened. As she was icing it a big crack opened up in the top layer and all the icing was drizzling down into the center. She tried to camouflage it but to no avail. She didn’t have time to bake another one so she topped it with chopped nuts and some maraschino cherries and told me to tell the kids at the party that it was “and earthquake cake.”
When I was married, I chose my two sisters and a friend as bridesmaids. Before the reception as the photographer was taking pictures of the wedding party, La Dawn and Beth got the giggles and we had a hard time getting them to be serious enough to take the pictures.
The good times of laughing together continued through the years. We were the best of friends and kindred spirits. I think most of the positive attributes I established in my early life were because of the sound and good advice she gave me. For instance, she told me when I was expecting our first child and was concerned about the birthing process, “ Just pretend that you are a dirty, old dish rag when you are in labor.” I told that to a friend of mine, and as she was wheeled into the delivery room under sedation, she was saying loudly, “I’m a dish rag, a dirty old dish rag.”
For a few months we were pregnant together as we both anticipate the arrival of our sons, Robert and David. This was my first, her third child.
Were separated for awhile as I went with my husband, Bob, while he was in the Air Force but she sent encouraging letters when I was suffering from homesickness and when our daughter, Debbie, was born while we were in Texas.
The twins, Nathan and Joey, were born when I came home to stay while my husband was stationed in Japan. We were all so concerned when they were born and only weighed 2 and 2 ½ pounds and were not expected to live. I can remember how hard we all prayed for them.
My sister, La Dawn, has always been my idol and best friend. She has done so many wonderful things for her family. Like the time she ran for miles in the dark night through the sagebrush when their truck stalled when Larry drank coal oil at the sheep herd camp trying to get help with Reed following behind , carrying Larry in his arms.
I think of the many trips though terrible weather and slippery roads driving from Wallsburg to Salt Lake to take Joey to the Primary Children’s Hospital. To me, she has always been a wonderful example of faith and endurance.
The other day I was baking some pizzas in the oven and it was time to take them out of the oven. I was talking on the telephone and telling our daughter about the funeral arrangements for La Dawn. As I attempted to take the last pizza out of the oven, it slipped and fell face down on a rug in front of my stove. My family came to my rescue and helped me scoop the cheese and topping off the rug. I thought to myself, I bet La Dawn had something to do with this. She is probably saying in heaven, “Carol, you’re taking things too seriously, lighten up” and felt that she was laughing at me and with me as she had done so many times.
I feel so blessed to have had a wonderful sister like La Dawn. She hasn’t gone far away. Now we will be able to share everything together. “Bye” for now, La Dawn. We all love you so much. Thank you for your wonderful sense of humor and your love of life that you shared with us all. Now you can do genealogy to your heart’s content with Sidney, Dad, and Mother by your side.
La Dawn was born August 13, 1925, the first child of Fay and Elizabeth Carried Gleave Porter, in Escalante, Utah. Sixteen months later our sister, Beth, was born in the same town. At this time there were no doctors in this small town, only a midwife called Aunt Susan who was a niece to our Grandma Porter.
Mother captured the memory of her two little girls walking hand in hand and would talk about it often to me. She talked of La Dawn holding her little sisters hand and tugging gently saying, “Come on Bethi,” and Beth would follow obediently.
La Dawn was the adventurous one. She sometimes got into trouble because of it; like the time she crawled into the center of a roll of chicken wire and then couldn’t get out. Mother and Dad had to come to her rescue.
She liked challenges and this also sometimes got her into trouble. She wanted to jump across the ditch that ran behind our house when she was just a small girl. Dad didn’t stop her but told her that if she missed, she would get a spanking. She took on the challenge and missed by a few inches, falling into the running water. Dad retrieved her and she got the spanking. But I have a feeling that it wasn’t a very hard spanking because Dad must have been suppressing a laugh at her misfortune.
The last time I spoke to Mother a few days before she died in July of this year (1997), she told me of two little girls walking in their nightgowns from our house in Escalante to the dance hall in town where our parents were, holding hands. No doubt La Dawn was saying, “Come on Bethi.”
A man at the dance informed my parents who thought their two little girls were sound asleep at home that two little girls in white, flour sack nightgowns were standing outside the door of the dance hall. What a surprise that must have been.
For nine years my two sisters were inseparable. They did everything together and were the best of friends. Then in 1935, I was born when the family was living in Cedar City. I was their pride and joy until I got old enough to get into their paper dolls and doll furniture.
Three years later Dale was born. By this time La Dawn and Beth were teenagers. I have fond memories of these years. I was an observer as my sisters made homemade candy, had honey taffy pulls, danced and sang and occasionally fought. La Dawn liked to tease Beth and it would sometimes end up in “a cat fight” but they still remained the best of friends through it all.
In 1942, we moved as a family to Logan while Dad attended classes at the Agricultural College, which is now Utah State University. It was while we were here that my parents received their endowments and were sealed as an eternal family in the Logan Temple. I can still see in my memory the scene of us all kneeling around the altar and looking up and seeing my father crying.
There were happy times for all the neighborhood kids and us as we played night games on our block. Again I was more of an observer than participant because I was just a little kid. I guess I didn’t mind much because I only remember it being a wonderful happy time.
La Dawn was avid writer. Even as a teen she was writing poetry and attempted to write a book entitled, “Terry.” She continued writing all her life and later wrote newspaper articles for local newspapers where she lived.
I have many special memories of our life in Escalante even though I was only seven years old when we moved to Provo. Our country was at war but I can still remember the dancing and singing of my sisters through these years of turmoil. I admired them both with their pretty clothes and many boy friends.
I was only eight years old when La Dawn married Reed Ercanbrack in the Manti Temple at the age of seventeen. The difference in La Dawn and my ages should have separated us but it didn’t. La Dawn was always fun when she came to visit. She loved to laugh and enjoyed life so much.
When her first child, Larry, was born I was more like an older sister than an aunt to him.
When I was about twelve years old La Dawn came to visit us in Provo. They were living in Idaho them. I will never forget the fun she and I had as we walked to a movie down town together one night. On the way home we took off our shoes and walked barefoot on the sidewalk for almost six blocks. We giggled as we carried our shoes in our hands. I think we even sang some songs. People must of thought we were crazy but we didn’t care, we loved being together.
I could tell you many wonderful stories about her sense of humor. When I was twelve years old I stayed with her, Reed, Larry and Sidney in New Plymouth, Idaho on their farm. I was invited to a party and asked to bring a cake while there. La Dawn is a wonderful cook and always makes such good treats. She made a cake for me to take but something happened. As she was icing it a big crack opened up in the top layer and all the icing was drizzling down into the center. She tried to camouflage it but to no avail. She didn’t have time to bake another one so she topped it with chopped nuts and some maraschino cherries and told me to tell the kids at the party that it was “and earthquake cake.”
When I was married, I chose my two sisters and a friend as bridesmaids. Before the reception as the photographer was taking pictures of the wedding party, La Dawn and Beth got the giggles and we had a hard time getting them to be serious enough to take the pictures.
The good times of laughing together continued through the years. We were the best of friends and kindred spirits. I think most of the positive attributes I established in my early life were because of the sound and good advice she gave me. For instance, she told me when I was expecting our first child and was concerned about the birthing process, “ Just pretend that you are a dirty, old dish rag when you are in labor.” I told that to a friend of mine, and as she was wheeled into the delivery room under sedation, she was saying loudly, “I’m a dish rag, a dirty old dish rag.”
For a few months we were pregnant together as we both anticipate the arrival of our sons, Robert and David. This was my first, her third child.
Were separated for awhile as I went with my husband, Bob, while he was in the Air Force but she sent encouraging letters when I was suffering from homesickness and when our daughter, Debbie, was born while we were in Texas.
The twins, Nathan and Joey, were born when I came home to stay while my husband was stationed in Japan. We were all so concerned when they were born and only weighed 2 and 2 ½ pounds and were not expected to live. I can remember how hard we all prayed for them.
My sister, La Dawn, has always been my idol and best friend. She has done so many wonderful things for her family. Like the time she ran for miles in the dark night through the sagebrush when their truck stalled when Larry drank coal oil at the sheep herd camp trying to get help with Reed following behind , carrying Larry in his arms.
I think of the many trips though terrible weather and slippery roads driving from Wallsburg to Salt Lake to take Joey to the Primary Children’s Hospital. To me, she has always been a wonderful example of faith and endurance.
The other day I was baking some pizzas in the oven and it was time to take them out of the oven. I was talking on the telephone and telling our daughter about the funeral arrangements for La Dawn. As I attempted to take the last pizza out of the oven, it slipped and fell face down on a rug in front of my stove. My family came to my rescue and helped me scoop the cheese and topping off the rug. I thought to myself, I bet La Dawn had something to do with this. She is probably saying in heaven, “Carol, you’re taking things too seriously, lighten up” and felt that she was laughing at me and with me as she had done so many times.
I feel so blessed to have had a wonderful sister like La Dawn. She hasn’t gone far away. Now we will be able to share everything together. “Bye” for now, La Dawn. We all love you so much. Thank you for your wonderful sense of humor and your love of life that you shared with us all. Now you can do genealogy to your heart’s content with Sidney, Dad, and Mother by your side.
No comments:
Post a Comment